Happy Australia Day!
Who looooooves good ol’ Australian lamingtons? Well I’ve got a delightful little recipe that is grain-free, refined sugar-free and (by accident) egg-free! To top it off, I even got to use a bunch of my home-grown apples – they are literally falling off the tree at the moment and we can’t eat them fast enough. Lucky we’ve got a stack of wallabies to share them with. This has kept Poppy very entertained at dusk when our furry friends come to nibble on the apples in our backyard 🙂
These lamingtons can be made with 3 eggs instead of the chia seeds and baking powder. I usually do use eggs, but I was half-way through the recipe tonight when I realised we had no eggs in the fridge! Usually my ‘experiments’ don’t work out too well (ask Chris about my latest essential oil lavender chocolate, haha!), but the chia seeds were a great substitution in this recipe – you can hardly tell the difference. So, great if you have an egg-alergy.
3 apples, cored and peeled
3 tbsp ground chia seeds
3/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp coconut sugar
4 cups desiccated coconut
1 tsp natural vanilla essence
pinch pink himalayan salt
2/3 cup raw cacao
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Line a lamington (or slice) tin with baking paper.
2. Place the apples in a small saucepan with water. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Place ground chia seeds in a bowl and add 9 tbsp water. Rest for 1 minute.
4. Drain water from apples, and whizz those apples up in a food processor.
5. Add chia seed mixture and baking powder to apples and whizz until creamy.
6. Add coconut sugar, coconut, vanilla essence, salt and cacao and mix until well combined.
7. Pour mixture into tin and bake for 30 – 40min.
8. Rest for 5min before slicing – and then devour those squares of healthy lamington goodness 🙂